Hinghwa Methodist Church was founded in 1911. The church was begun by Rev Dr. W. N. Brewster a missionary working in the Fujian Province of China.
The church purchased her first property, a shop-house in Sam Leong Road in 1933. Subsequently, in 1941, she bought the present site at Kitchener Road. In April 1986, the present 4-storey building was completed and was dedicated on 27th Nov 1986.
The church started off with a Hinghwa-speaking congregation. Later on, the Mandarin-speaking, as well as the English-speaking congregations, were added. The church seeks to fulfill her God-given vision of being a lighthouse for Christ and is very actively reaching out to her neighbourhood.